Sunday, May 22, 2011

My Baby Brother and My Baby Boy

Conner and I were very lucky to be able to go on a trip to Utah with my parents earlier this month. We went to pick up my brother for a short visit. He is currently in a program for teenage boys who have addictions and behavioral problems. Last year about this time was very difficult for my family. We were afraid my little brother would end up in jail or worse. He was headed down that path at full speed. My parents took him to a boys ranch in July and when that program didn't fit he was transferred to another in Utah.
There is a lump in my throat and tears threatening in my eyes writing this because of how hard this was for me and my family. He was so lost and so changed by the substances he took into his body. It was very frightening. But as time went on he began trying to fight what he had become and he started to win himself back. He started to come back to us emotionally and spiritually. By this trip he was doing very well. He has almost completed high school and the recovery program. He is wise beyond his years and yet he is the brother I knew before the drugs. I have seen the Atonement at work in his life, seen his testimony develop and now he has a relationship with his Father in Heaven like he never did before. I pray for him constantly because his life will be a battle from now on. But he is happy and strong and brave and I love him dearly.

Conner was 10 1/2 months old when my brother went away. He has grown so much since then. He is 20 months today. He says doggie (like da-dee), go, no, uh oh, hey you (like ay you), two, shoe, and three. He is such a busy little bee. Unfortunately we are both sick with colds right now but that doesnt seem to deter him from his hijinks. Oh and just today Cam taught him where his toes and fingers were so we added that to the list of body parts he knows. He also gives kisses now as before he had no interest in it whatsoever. That's just the way he is, an idea has to be his or he'll have none of it. He is tough and messy and smart and I love him dearly as well.

Here are pictures from our trip...


Conner and I on the bleachers at my cousins softball game. It was chilly for us desert dwellers!


Siblings, can't you tell? He is so tall it is getting akward to hug him but that didn't stop me from doing it anyway.


My cousin and Conner. He takes to her immediately, no matter how much time has past since he last saw her. She just has that kind of warm and caring personality babies are drawn to. I admire and adore her.


On a hike...my first in a long time...phew!


Grandpa put Conner on his shoulders but also helped him walk a little too.


He conquered that rock edifice behind him and so did my mom. They got all the way to the top!


Conner reading in the car. He loved his new books Grandma got him for the trip.


Doesn't this one melt your heart a little?


And now that your heart is soft...this one ought to finish the job and make it mush!


Here is Conner on his Auntie's birthday, helping her blow out the candles! Originally this post was going to be just about him (because 99.9% of them are) but then I guess I got inspired to share a little about my baby brother.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this post. I am glad that Shane is doing so well. It is heartwarming to see pictures of him and your family. You are a good sister!

    ReplyDelete